A Day in My Life

CC image clock #2 by Kaz_Ngo at Flickr

Summary

For this project I was required to record how much time I spend on each activity/thing I do for 24 hours, and then to make a short documentary explaining how I use my time with visual aids such as pie charts and pictures. The purpose of this project was to show how my time is being spent, and to help me with my time management skills.

Font

CC image Font at Flickr

Color Palette

CC image Color Palette at Flickr

Pie Chart

CC image Pie Chart 2 at Flickr

Script

Hi, I’m Sam. A day in my life can get pretty busy and sometimes messy if I don’t use my time well, but my average day looks something like this. As you can see, school takes up the largest portion of my day. This isn’t surprising as I’m at school for almost 7 hours. The second biggest chunk in how I spend my time is sleeping, which also makes sense. I have to sleep a lot, especially during the soccer season, or else I physically wouldn’t be able to get through my days. One thing that did surprise me is that I spend more time playing soccer and working out (12.5%) than I do doing homework (10.4%). I’ve always thought that I spend way more time on my homework than my athletics, but after mapping out my day I guess I don’t. I’m not sure if this is a bad thing or not, but it is surprising. I also spend a good portion of my time doing nothing productive, or my leisure time. Usually during this time I will read a book, watch Netflix, or mess around on my phone. My leisure time isn’t taking up too much time in my life, and I don’t think I would change it as leisure time is important and helps to minimize stress. Finally, the last 3 portions of my day are spread out in my daily routine, which is like getting ready for school, chores, and more, transportation, either by bus or car, and eating food. I spend just as much time doing my daily stuff as I do my leisure time, which I think is interesting. Both take up 8.3% of my day. Transportation only takes up 6.3% of my day, which isn’t that surprising, as I only am traveling places in the morning on the bus and in the afternoon when my parents pick me up from soccer. Lastly, I spend the least amount of time on eating food. I don’t usually eat breakfast, lunch is only a half hour, and once I get home my mom will make dinner but my family doesn’t do big family dinners very often. I usually will eat in about 15 minutes and then get back to whatever I was doing. If I could I would change this so that I ate breakfast in the morning, as I know it’s unhealthy not to, and I would spend more time eating dinner with my family. All in all, I have learned that I spend a whole lot of time on soccer, school/homework and sleeping, and it might be time to focus more on the time I spend with my family and less on my leisure time or my daily stuff. And that’s a day in my life!

Audio Editing

CC Image audacity screenshot at Flickr

Storyboard

CC Image storyboard 1 at Flickr
CC Image storyboard 2 at Flickr

Video Editing

CC Image premiere screenshot at Flickr

The Documentary

What I Learned

For this project I learned how I spend my time in 24 hours, how to make a slideshow in Premiere Pro, how to edit audio in Audacity, how to make a color palette and use it for a pie chart in Google Charts, and finally, how to be a better public speaker (some notes on how to increase your presence when speaking are listed below). This project showed me that I spend a lot of time sleeping, going to school/doing homework, and playing soccer, and that I don’t spend enough time with my family. It also helped give me skills necessary for presenting in Premiere Pro. One problem I had to solve was figuring out how to make the roll on the credits at the end of my video go faster so it flows better. I Googled my problem and found a tutorial which showed me how to solve it, and the tutorial is linked below.

Public Speaking Notes

• We are influenced by non-verbals
  • Non verbal expressions of power dominance
    • Making yourself big
  • When feeling pride/victory we open up, lift arms in V
  • When feel cowardice, we close up, hunch shoulders
  • Our nonverbals govern how people think and feel about others and ourselves
  • Our minds change our bodies
  • Do our bodies change our minds?
  • Powerful people have less cortisol and more testosterone
  • Changing your poses into powerful or powerless poses change your mental state
  • “Tiny tweaks lead to big changes”
  • “Fake it until you become it”
  • 7 things we need to get rid of when talking:
    • Gossip
    • Judging
    • Negativity
    • Excuses
    • Dogmatism
    • Lying
    • Complaining
  • 4 things to bring when you do talk:
    • Honesty
    • Authenticity
    • Integrity
    • Love
  • To increase how you’re heard change your:
    • Register
      • Speak from your chest
    • Timber
      • Sound smooth and warm
    • Prosody
      • Don’t be monotone
    • Silence
      • A little bit of silence when speaking isn’t bad, and it doesn’t hace to be filled with um’s and ah’s
    • Pace
      • Slow down to emphasize points
    • Pitch
      • Higher pitch = more intense
    • Volume
      • Louder = more excited/intense

Tutorial I Followed