What is Workflow?
“The sequence of industrial, administrative, or other processes through which a piece of work passes from initiation to completion.” – lexico.com
What is a quality workflow? How do we develop it? Below are elements of the production cycle that most creative people move through as they create something. First, we must identify the stages of project production. What is each stage and what are the quality checks for each stage. Read on and find out!
Stages of Creation Development
How do we find ideas to develop?
- Find inspiration from professional filmmakers
- Tools like YouTube
- The process should involve a combination of collaboration and communication with other students along with individual research to create ideas
- Grades measure quality (unfortunately) but so do your own goals you set for yourself: if you meet your own goals, you have made a quality product
How do we clarify our specific goal(s) for a project?
- To clarify our specific goals we first need guidance from Mr. LeDuc on requirements
- We need to pick one or two learning targets/goals that we wish as a group or individual to meet throughout making the film
- We need to collaborate and ping ideas off each other to finally find a goal that suits everything we want/need
- The goal or goals should be not to difficult and not to easy to reach, somewhere in the middle
How can we brainwrite, brainstorm, storyboard, and plan our ideas at this phase?
- Tools like simply a pen and paper should be used to brainwrite, brainstorm, and storyboard, but then can be transferred to things like dotstorm
- There should be a balance between individual and collaborative brainstorming
- The quality of the brainstorms should increase as we collaborate and further strengthen our ideas with our goal found above in mind
- Mr. LeDuc should make sure we remain on the right path, and provide simple guidance
How do we communicate with each other and execute our plan for this phase? This is where we actually make the project.
- Tools like Trello, email, and the Schoology calendar should be used for students to communicate with each other and for Mr. LeDuc to communicate with students
- The process requires every member of the team to be held accountable for their responsibilities with the film, Mr. LeDuc can help hold us accountable
- Quality means that we meet our goals, to meet those goals everyone has to play a part, tools like Trello will help with this
- We should keep our main goals and idea for our film in mind throughout the whole production process so we don’t lose our intention
How do we communicate with each other and execute our final stages of the project for this phase? This is where we publish the project.
- Tools like iMovie and other free editors will be used at this stage
- Again, the main intention of the film should be clear as we go through post-production
- Due to the lack of in-person communication, we will have to communicate with the editor via Zoom
- Adding on to the above statement, even though we are in online school there should still be lots of communication between the editor and the other roles, if the communication stops and the editor is left on their own then they won’t have as much support
- Quality means we met our goal and our intention remained clear
How do we share our project with our learning community, advisory members, and the world?
- Tools like YouTube and social media can help share our film since we are not in person currently
- We should present our film in a way that shows our intention clearly
- We should follow similar presentation steps for when presenting to advisory members as last year
- We should make sure everyone has something to talk about, and that this presentation is prepared for beforehand
How do we conduct a feedback session at the end of the project development cycle?
- Tools like dotstorm can be used or a Google Form
- There should be a Zoom meeting where for a chunk of time all we do is talk about what worked and what didn’t
- We can then make a list of 4 or 5 main points we wish to improve upon within our workflow for the next project
- Mr. LeDuc should use what the students talk about to create guidelines for the students to use and focus on in the next project